Saturday, July 9, 2011

Trying To Live Joyously is Friggen' Hard!

Trying to live joyously is friggen hard!  Every time I find myself going to a place of fear or doubt, whether it be, "what am I going to do for more money?" OR "Why did I eat that thing, now I'm fat!" OR "my ass is wet because I'm sitting on a bench that has probably just been pee'd on by a homeless person!", I have to stop myself and remember the abundance in my life. It's all about searching for the better feeling thought.  So if I find myself worrying about my ass getting fat, I think instead, "well at least I have a fat ass, because some people don't have an ass at all" Can I get a what what?

What I do find difficult and forgive me if I'm repeating myself, but what is difficult is not letting other people's worries and fears trickle into my own head.  For instance, right now I'm in Maine sitting  on a dock over-looking the most beautiful lake in the universe, staying at the most beautiful inn in the universe (The Kawanhee Inn, Weld Maine in case you were wondering) and there is the faintest smell of hickory smoke from the fires in the cabins. No the cabins aren't ON fire, the fires are in the fireplaces :).  So anyway, t'other night there was a very brief  (& exciting) severe lightening & thunder storm and the power went out in the whole town.  This meant that for a day and a half we had no lights or water (couldn't flush the toilet, etc). Candles were scarce and it's REALLY dark up here in the woods.

So there we all were, standing in the lobby, thankfully the bar was still open! But there was this gentleman staying at one of the cabins and he was having trouble coping with the fact that we had no power. All evenign long he kept walking around, complaining to everyone he met, "I can't believe they don't have a generator!" and lamenting that his food might go bad in the refrigerator and that he couldn't take a shower and, "I can't believe they don't have a generator!" blah, blah, blah.  I had to get away from this guy, it was starting to affect how I was feeling. So I went outside and what I noticed was how amazingly bright the stars were. I guess, with all the ambient light from the buildings, they never seemed as bright. It was breath taking. Then in the a.m., when the complainy dude was cursing for not being able to have coffee or a hot breakfast, my husband and I decided to venture out into the little town to see if anyone had power and wouldn't you know it, the little bakery up the street was open and everyone from the town was there!  I've never had more delicious cinnamon cake. We got to meet the "mayor" and other town-folk. We learned about all the fun things to do in the area the tourists don't know about.  It was truly a gift. And it would never have happened if the power hadn't gone out.

So, I suppose the old adage is true, miracles can happen if you just let them. We saw miracles where the complainer only saw problems. I'm not patting myself on the back or anything (I would pat myself on the back but I have cruelly short arms) Seriously though, believe you me, I can complain with the best of them. Do NOT try to out complain me, you'll just end up complaining about how I'm such a better complainer than you are.  But mark my words, MARK THEM, I SAY, from now on I'm gonna try to look for the miracles in what seems like bad situations OR at least relax and let the miracles happen. Like I said 'afore, it's all about searching for the better feeling thought. Why feel bad when you can feel good?  I know it's HARD, but don't be an asshole, just try it!

Okay, I'm off to see the manager to let the him know about the broken toilet in our room. It's not complaining, it's just good hygiene!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Julie,

    Your complainer reminded me of traveling with a friend of ours. We were in Alaska, and he spent it felt like every minute worrying that we were getting ripped off, because we were tourists. We were on a cruise ship, if I were a local I'd charge us more, too. Any who, we asked a cab driver to give is a tour of Juneau and agreed on a price. He spent the whole ride watching the meter she accidentally left on, and whispering to me it was going to be a fortune.

    Not only did she charge what she promised, she gave us photographs of a bear and a wolf that hang out in her neighborhood, told us great stories about moving from Chile to Alaska to be with her man and how the lived near a glacier, and parked illegally so we could take dumb pictures in front of the governor Palin's house. It was great, and our friend pretty much missed it with worry.

    Also, I know you've waitressed -- I always was way nicer to customers who just rolled with problems in the kitchen, etc. I've made it a life's philosophy to not be the dink when things go wrong.

    ReplyDelete