Sunday, July 10, 2011

Don't Be 'The Dink'

Baz Lurhman says, worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. Intellectually I 'get' this. So then why do I still try and balance my checkbook by munching on a piece of Bazooka?  

Worry. Fear. Doubt. Why are those feelings more accessible to me than say, Hope, Courage, Confidence? WHY? I mean, they're all just emotions.  Why does it seem easier to go negative than positive? Why do you, for example, never hear anyone saying, "I was awake all night with HOPE!". Wouldn't it be great to say one day, "I woke up at 3 am with my brain buzzing about how GREAT EVERYTHING IS GOING!" or "I couldn't stop thinking about how I HAVE SO MUCH EXTRA MONEY!" or "I was awake for an hour thinking, I ALWAYS SMELL LIKE FLOWERS!" or even, "THAT THING I SAID TO THAT PERSON ABOUT THAT THING, WAS SO CLEVER AND SO SPOT ON, I DON'T WISH I SAID ANYTHING ELSE! .

A good friend told me a story about how she went on a tour of Alaska with a friend and the whole time the friend worried about getting ripped off as a tourist. So my friend, we'll call her Denise, because that is her name, Denise said, from now on I've made a promise to not be "The Dink" in any situation.  I think those are words to live by. Don't Be The Dink. And if you find yourself being a Dink? Stop it. No one likes a Dink, not even other Dinks.

So I'm gonna try (at least for today) to access the positive feeling rather than the negative.  I invite ya'll to try it too (Don't ya'll find my down-home speak preciously adorable?). If you do, (try accessing the positive I mean) will you let me know how it goes? COME ON, don't be a dink, just try it.  

2 comments:

  1. Jullie!!! - I don't want to be a dink anymore!! - (sometimes I still am - but I don't want to be. That's progress!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for progress, right?? Admitting you're The Dink is the first step.

    ReplyDelete