Thursday, August 18, 2011

How Can You Make Yourself Happy Today?

My lovely friend Yael, who, by the way, was an inspiration to me in deciding to quit my job, gave me a tool in staying joyful. When she awakes in the morning, she asks herself, "How can I make myself happy today?". What a lovely question to ask oneself.

I asked myself this question today and my first thought was, "I don't have time to make myself happy". Whoa. That immediate response surprised me. Me! The gal who is all about 'living joyously' (while reading that, please don a mocking tone). Then I thought, if my response to that question is, "I don't have time" then maybe others would  have a similar response. 

No time to make myself happy? P'shaw. What time does it take to listen to fun music while I clean? How much time does it take to light a candle to have on my desk while I write? How much time does it take to treat myself to the organic raspberries? What time does it take to masturbate? HA! Surprised you with that one, didn't I? (15 min.'s is the answer by the way).

The point is, there are many simple ways we can make ourselves feel a little happier. I would love if you would share some with me.

5 comments:

  1. I am taking an amazing online course right now called "Dancing in the Fire: Ignite Your Creativity Through Yoga and Art." You should friend "Art Asana" on Facebook. Assignments for the course have been to set up and share photos of an art work space and a yoga spot, and to make and share art. The act of setting up a super comfy spot for myself to create cool things has been super energizing and had a ripple effect in my home by making the space around it more inviting for everyone. We also had to create and share a sacred space to do yoga. Those of us living in small places were encouraged to build a little altar where we practice, instead of designating a place in our home as "yoga-only." There have been guided meditations, art tutorials, and yoga lessons, all to the end of conjuring up the heat and energy within us. Some of the participants are artists looking to explore new areas. For me, the course marks the end of a debilitating yearlong depression. Healing isn't linear, I'm not out of the woods forever. In fact, I have a chronic mood disorder which means I will most certainly struggle again. But right now I am harnessing all of the energy I can find and investing it into my healing and, a term they use in the course, "expansion." Fire is about destruction and rebirth. These images are very relevant for me as I clear out last year's damaged landscape and make room for healthy new growth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aromatherapy and using organic shower gel, lotions and potions with essential oils makes me happy. Also holding my puppy and playing with her, and taking her for walks. On a less healthy note, chocolate and home baked goods, make me happy too, but I do try to limit that because the results (weight gain) don't make me very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curtygirl, Yes! I love lotions thing, perfect. Also I think I'm going to have a piece of chocolate, thanks for the lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we want to make ourselves happy, we read your blog. It always brings a smile to our faces.

    ReplyDelete